Welcome to my GirlRaiser page. All girls have the right to be educated, healthy and free from gender based violence. I believe that every girl in the world should have the same opportunities as we do in the United States.
THE CHALLENGE is in developing countries
- Less than 2 cents of every development dollar goes to programs for girls, particularly those ages 10-14
- Of the 143 million out of school children, more than half are girls
- 50 percent of all sexual assaults/rapes are targeted at girls ages 15 and younger
- 1 in 7 girls marry before they are 15
- Medical complications from pregnancy are the leading cause of death among girls ages 15-19 worldwide
- Girls spend up to 15 hours each day obtaining water for their families and villages
- Girls are 3 times more likely to be HIV positive than boys
THE SOLUTION is education, healthcare, clean water
- An extra year of primary school boosts girls? eventual wages by 10-20%. An extra year of secondary school adds 15-25%
- Girls who stay in school for seven or more years typically marry 4 years later and have 2 fewer children than girls who drop out
- The World Food Program has found that when girls and women earn income, they reinvest 90% of it in their families and communities
- Access to clean water is one of the many ways to dramatically reduce Gender Based Violence
- Making healthcare services available to girls will help educate them about HIV and other diseases, lessening their chances of being infected
Women and girls account for 70% of the world's impoverished . It has been proven that investing in girls is the key to eliminating poverty. If a girl is educated, as well as free from hunger and violence, she will share her knowledge and skills with her family and community.
THE ANSWER is YOU
This year I have the honor of being a Teen Advisor for Girl Up. I need your help in reaching my fundraising goal of $50,000. Join me today and make a difference!
EMPOWER A GIRL AND SHE WILL CHANGE THE WORLD